The Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology of the Slovak University of Technology is one of the six faculties, of the Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava. The history of the Faculty dates back to 1940/41 when the Branch of Chemical Engineering started with education. The Higher Education Act from 1950 changed this branch to the individual Faculty of Chemistry of the Slovak Technical High School in Bratislava.
The Slovak higher education has its rich history. Our Faculty follows in the footsteps of its famous predecessor in the education of technical chemistry, i.e., the famous Mining Academy in Banská Štiavnica constituted by empress Maria Theresa in 1762. The establishment of the Dr. M. R. Štefánik College of Technology in 1937 and subsequently, that of the Slovak College of Technology in 1939 succeded in keeping the high standard of technical education in Slovakia.
Within the time of its existence, the Faculty has educated more than 16 500 graduates (more than 3 600 graduates in food engineering). The Faculty has trained more than 1 100 graduates in postgraduate doctorate courses granting the title PhD in chemical and technical sciences. Thus, the Faculty has helped considerably to increase scientific knowledge in industry, education system, scientific and research institutes, and administrative services.
The Faculty occupies a very specific position within the Slovak Republic and relates to the whole spectrum of chemical, food, pharmaceutical and consumer industries, and ecology. At present, some 2.000 students study at the Faculty and they are trained by qualified pedagogical and research staff. Out of the total number of 273 teachers, there are 31 full professors, 106 associate professors, 139 assistant professors. Out of 85 research workers, 2 hold the title DSc, 45 hold the title PhD. Both the teaching process and research activities are centred within 24 Departments and Central Laboratories.
The Faculty currently offers study in BSc courses, MSc courses, and PhD. The undergraduate form of study is organized at two levels: Bachelor-of-Science and Master-of-Science programmes. The first level BSc course for all students lasts three years, and is run in two branches: Chemical Technology and Food Technology. This first level of the study ends by a state examination and a project granting the student the title Bachelor of Science (BSc). The nominal span of the study in the BSc course is 3 years. The second level MSc course is run in 9 majors with several possible specializations over two years. The MSc course ends by a state examination and by defending a diploma thesis. The graduate obtains the title Master of Science (MSc). In addition to the natural-science basis, students of all branches study basic engineering subjects, e.g. Chemical Engineering, Processes Control, Basics of Chemical and Food Processing Technology, as well as subjects on Economy, Law and Ecology.
The highest form of university education is currently the doctorate study, which in the past was run as a form of preparation for scientific work. In 1997 the Ministry of Education of the Slovak Republic approved the right of the Faculty to train and to administer examinations in PhD Courses. The Faculty has conferred the title PhD in 15 branches of the doctoral study. (Chemical Physics, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Macromolecular Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Inorganic Technology and Materials, Organic Technology and Technology of Fuels, Technology of Macromolecular Materials, Chemical Engineering and Control of Processes, Chemistry and Technology of Environment, Chemistry and Food Technology, Biotechnology, and Applied Informatics).
The Faculty has a widely oriented programme, leading to the development of basic scientific fields in chemistry, chemical technology and food processing. This wide scientific orientation of Departments at the Faculty allows goal-oriented training of undergraduates and thereby their quicker transition to industry. There are several scientific schools at the Faculty which are successful at winning grants from domestic and international sources and at organising scientific meetings. The Faculty generally maintains an important international position. In addition to basic research, the Faculty participates in widely applied research for practice. The cooperation with many factories and companies allows for a swift application of research results in practice. At the same time the Faculty obtains considerable financial support.
The Faculty participates in issuing the specialized scientific journals: Chemical Papers, Fibres and Textile, Plastics and Rubber, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, Biology, Folia Microbiologica, Vinohrad/Víno (Wineyard/Wine).
The scope and quality of the scientific activity keep the Faculty at a level, which is comparable with other top research and university centres in the world. This can be proved by the above mentioned number of grants, staff invitations to participate in conferences abroad, wide cooperation with foreign universities and institutions, and memberships in international organizations.
Any further details about the activities of the Faculty of Chemical Technology can be found in the Annual Report 2001.
Prof. Vladimír Báleš, DSc.