Department Profile

The Institute of Analytical Chemistry is directed to the perspective branches of study of the new analytical procedures and theoretical approaches aimed to the solution of various subjects predominantly of food, pharmaceutical industry and environment.

The Department of Analytical chemistry assigns the pedagogical work and the scientific research in the following areas:

  • trace and ultratrace analysis of organic and inorganic compounds with the utilisation of preconcentration techniques in off-line and on-line systems,

  • analysis of water, soil, and air,

  • trace and ultratrace electroanalytical and spectrophotometric analysis of plenty of elements with the stress to the presence of heavy metals in complex matrices,

  • trace and ultratrace analysis of volatile and semivolatile analytes in complex organic systems utilising isolation and preconcentration techniques in combination with fast gas chromatography and mass spectrometry,

  • utilisation of DNA biosensors to determine hazardous chemicals in trace concentration, determination of activators and inhibitors of the structural DNA damage,

  • study of structure of selected compounds with their properties characterisation,

  • separation and determination of enantiomers in the environmental samples.


History of the Department

The foundation of the Department of Analytical Chemistry goes back to 1941, when the Institute of Analytical Chemistry was created. The Institute was headed by Prof. RNDr. T. Krempaský, who acted also as the director of the Institute of Inorganic Chemistry. Prof. Ing. D. Prístavka in charge of lecturing, became later the first head of the Department. In 1950 the Institute was transformed to the Department of Analytical Chemistry, one of the five principal departments of the Chemical-Technological Engineering of the Slovak Technical University and later Chemical, and/also Chemical-Technological Faculty. Over the years the spectrum of scientific staff has been considerably changed, the number of students increased. In the school year 1955/56 the specialization Technical Analytical Chemistry was created.

Remarkable progress in the area of scientific research as well as pedagogical process has been reached throughout the last years. The Department has achieved the top-position in the Slovak Republic, it has also developed fruitful cooperation with domestic as well as foreign institutions. Scientific and pedagogical programme are broad.

The target areas are chromatographic and electromigration methods, electroanalytical chemistry directed to voltamperometric sensors and biosensors and optical methods of trace analysis. The scientific research is focused particularly on the analysis of complex samples directed to ecology and biological materials. In the research and pedagogical work the Department has always relied on important personalities and capacities of professors.

At present they are Prof. Dipl. Eng. Dušan Bustin, D.Sc., Prof. Dipl. Eng. Ján Krupčík, D.Sc., Prof. Dipl. Eng. Ján Labuda, D.Sc., Prof. Dipl. Eng. Jozef Lehotay, D.Sc., Prof. Dipl. Eng. Eva Matisová, D.Sc., Prof. Dipl. Eng. Ján Mocák, D.Sc..

The Department of Analytical Chemistry due to its high qualification and standard has been functioning as the scholar centre for the PhD study. The department is also active in organizing different courses of long-life education, conferences and symposia. The international symposium "Advances and Application of Chromatography in Industry" is regarded as the most important one.


The heads of The Department:
1941 - 1961 Prof. Dipl. Eng. D. Prístavka
1961 - 1972 Assoc. Prof. Dipl. Eng. O. Liška, Ph.D.
1972 - 1990 Prof. Dipl. Eng. J. Garaj, D.Sc.
1990 - 1997 Assoc. Prof. Dipl. Eng. J. Polonský, Ph.D.
1997 - 2009 Prof. Dipl. Eng. J. Lehotay, D.Sc.
2009 -         Prof. Dipl. Eng. J. Labuda, D.Sc.